Skip to main content

Halloweentober Day 5

Nosferatu The Vampire. Warner Herzog's remaining of Nosferatu and Bram Stoker's Dracula.

This movie is incredibly unsettling. This very well may be the most intriguing, yet scary, vampire film I've ever watched. I added this movie to my collection thanks to Scream Factory. This is certainly a movie to revisit on dark and dreary weather. The entire film, the setting to the characters, makes me feel icky for lack of a better word.

The movie opens with enchanting, haunting music over horrifying corpses and dramatic slow-motion cinematography that is so unsettling. The character of Renfield may be one of the most, again to use this word for lack of a better one, unsettling of the character I have ever seen in a film. In all the hundreds of movies I have watched over 40 years, this one character makes my skin crawl and my soul want to leap from my body and hide in the shadows. He's a horrific laughing little man and I'd prefer never to see him ever again to be honest with you.

There is one scene in this film, thankfully, that breaks the thick as blood tension momentarily where Count Orlock, sorry Count Dracula, is traipsing around town hiding his dirt-filled coffins all over the place. The hilarity is in just imaging his state of mind as he places these things sporadically, methodically, in various spots to best suit his needs to hide from the sun in his nightly quest to feed. There is something so simple yet entirely pathetic about his desperation here that it lends the character some pity; he's like a rat trying to escape a sinking ship...

But fairly quickly the film finds its horror again... This movie is brilliant in making me feel yucky as I've said but this is what makes this film so good. It's truly horror in that it's a frightening film from the ghost town to the vampire, which transcends physical bodies if he's forced to. Being a German-Franco collaboration lends the movie more alienation for the modern viewer. 

The movie is like a fever-dream Dracula adaptation. I personally think Bram Stoker's Dracula by Francis Ford Copola (1992) is the better version of the book, but it's (Herzog's) Kinski's Dracula which gets under my skin and stays there for a while, like a tick's burrowed head in my skin, gnawing at me even after it's over. Watching Klaus Kinski stare down Jonathan Harker after sucking the blood from his finger is fascinating and truly breathtaking! He stands, ready to attack Harker, but holds firm in his resolve, understanding that Harker may be more useful to him once he arrives in Wismar (which stands in for London). Incredibly more useful, you will see.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marketing

Is it ever too early to market your book? This question is retroactive to pre-publishing, too. I know very little about marketing. In fact, I guess I know nothing at all. My plan has always been, from the beginning, to get my story out there . To have people read it - that's the point to all of this. That's why this blog exists. And yet now I find myself searching for new, constructive ways to market this book. So far, I've been searching for an artist for the cover. I have it completely planned out, but I could screw up a stick figure, so I'll leave this to the pros. I'm wondering if it's too soon to design a website. Would a website even work for an unpublished work? I don't know. These are things I am looking into to help market my first novel. I've never had much use for an ego, but is self-promotion really egotistical? Or will it only hasten my prospect for publishing? Hmm.

BEING ELTON ALWINE

This is something that I've not give much thought about, and I'm not one to self-diagnose, but I have to find out if I have an anxiety disorder. All the symptoms are there: sweating, shortness of breath, headaches, etc. The list goes on. It's hard to concentrate, and I'm sick of excuses for why I'm not writing. It's certainly not lack of love or passion. And I am just a bit too affected on Sundays. The Baltimore Ravens are one of my loves in life, but this football team should in no way affect my attitudes and moods after game day . This, to me, is completely unacceptable. As of late, I've also developed an unnatural fear of death. I have witnessed this transformation seemingly outside of myself. I've never actually been the "worry wart" type, and I'm far from letting this behavior continue. Depression, Anxiety - these are words that I have always abhorred ; figments of the Pharmaceutical Industry's Utopian dream. Quite a bit of this d

Dear Spring, Please Get Here Soon...

I've been away for a while, but I'm staying busy. The Spring semester kicked off this week, and so far my classes are great, especially Astronomy. This is something I would want to do for the rest of my life, if my written word doesn't pay so well. Baseball is so close I'm beginning to foam at the mouth. Barely 8 weeks away and I have my season tickets for Sunday games almost purchased. There is just something about Spring in Baltimore... Anyway, the Script Project was going really well into page 30. One quarter down, and I stumbled like I do so often. But I will finish it, because I think it's a really good script. And vampires are still keeping me up at night. I revamped my BLADE story for MARVEL, and I'm mailing my Idea Proposal tomorrow. So, that's three projects on my lap. No problem.