Skip to main content

Happy Halloween!

 


Happy Halloween everybody! I hope it's spooky and fun for all of you! Enjoy this last great day of Halloweentober! Personally, I'm carving one final jack-o-lantern tonight, watching Hocus Pocus, eating pumpkin pie and making some Barmbrack bread! I'll be counting down to next Halloweentober as of tomorrow... I read The Halloween Tree by Ray Bradbury. The first time I read this book, I didn't know what to make of it. But now, I get it. I think it's a beautiful book about life and death, and Halloween. I think I'd read it again one day.

It's amazing how, with each Halloween, we add another day - another month - of celebrations to remember and hold near and dear. This holiday gets more special with each passing year, I suppose, because I'm older and wiser and take something from this celebration each time, even as I rewatch the same movies or TV shows or decorate with the same decorations. But it's in the air of autumn itself, and the leaves as they change color and fall to the earth, and it's this invisible electric energy that courses through us all as we lean into Halloween and Fall. It is the most perfect time of year, even as the cold, dead of winter inexorably chases us down. It's sitting beside the fire and a flickering jack-o-lantern reading a book with some hot apple cider. And it's watching all the young kids trick or treating, some their first time, that makes this holiday just so special that it's become too much for just 10/31! It's so big that it could only become a month-long celebration. This is Halloweentober! And this is the last day. Happy Halloween again!

See you in eleven months.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Small History on Halloween in the States

Here's a link . This is a quick little read about Halloween and its development in the "New World". I've been a stanch believer that Halloween in America today is well and truly crafted here, though very much of traditions from the "Old World". But the conglomeration of the holiday is well and formed here in the States, from the carving of the first jack-o'-lanterns to trick or treating as a homegrown manifestation. A lot of these Halloween traditions were simultaneously developed up north with our Canadian cousins too, I'm sure. But with the bigger population Halloween became larger here in the States. And this story gives us some insight into the idea that while Halloween has some traditions that date back to pre-Christ times, what we celebrate here today in America is very much a melting pot of our own construction. This is important to me as this holiday is very much a part of the American experience and identity. If I have to say it aloud, I hav...

Marketing

Is it ever too early to market your book? This question is retroactive to pre-publishing, too. I know very little about marketing. In fact, I guess I know nothing at all. My plan has always been, from the beginning, to get my story out there . To have people read it - that's the point to all of this. That's why this blog exists. And yet now I find myself searching for new, constructive ways to market this book. So far, I've been searching for an artist for the cover. I have it completely planned out, but I could screw up a stick figure, so I'll leave this to the pros. I'm wondering if it's too soon to design a website. Would a website even work for an unpublished work? I don't know. These are things I am looking into to help market my first novel. I've never had much use for an ego, but is self-promotion really egotistical? Or will it only hasten my prospect for publishing? Hmm.