Skip to main content

Halloweentober Day 2: The Monsters I Grew Up With

Vampires, the immortal creatures of the night, are the first monsters I can remember being afraid of but also endlessly infatuated with. And what's Halloweentober without the undead?! After all, if it wasn't for vampires I probably never would have developed such a fondness for Halloween in the first place...

The 1980s especially hosted a smorgasbord of the undead for me to, uh, sink my teeth into. From the hilarious to the horrific, the vampire films of my childhood were the things that kept me up at night. I was blessed with having my own television in my bedroom at an early age, with parents who were kind enough to respect my privacy and leave me alone when the door was shut. So staying up to watch vampire flicks until dawn was quite normal for me in adolescence.

Once Bitten was one the first I can remember staying up late for and was Jim Carrey's movie introduction to me years before In Living Color debuted on Fox in 1990. Jim's affable virgin Mark Kendall, hounded by one hot woman after another, somehow still struggles to lose his virginity. Whatever, it's the '80s. There's a fun but corny by today's standards dance-off in the gymnasium with a great song. Cleavon Little plays gay vampire Sebastian, and I love this character. He's snarky and witty, and I remember thinking this guy was awesome even as a kid, and Lauren Hutton's Countess is sexy AF in this movie. I had a lot of, um, first feelings about this woman in particular around this time... I probably could've kept that to myself.

Fright Night was another vampire flick that I fell in love with during my first watch. It utterly captivated me, with Charlie Brewster in his room, watching late night creature feature Fright Night, and peaking outside from his bedroom window at the neighbors below. That was me, right there. I felt like Charlie more than any other character at the time! And the transformations of the vampires late in the film, just wow. Sharkface vampires, I never saw that coming... The soundtrack in this film is exceptional, too.

My Best Friend is a Vampire. This one is a bit cooky, but cool in that '80s way. Jeremy is bitten delivering groceries to what appears to be a derelict home. But once inside, and letting himself in, the place appears perfectly gothic. A black cat appears and scratches Jeremy on the finger. The cat runs away like a lil black bitch, and then enters a beautiful woman, ready to suck his finger. The woman offers Jeremy back to her fanciful abode later that night and bites him after sex. As a kid this stuff was exciting as hell! She's a vampire, and she gets nailed again, this time with a wooden stake (hey-oh!). Jeremy wakes up a vampire, and the fun ensues. This one has pretty cool vampire lore explored a bit in the story. The vampires are quite mystical, changing to wolves to frolic in the nighttime. It's a fun flick, and yet another vampire movie that has stayed with me for decades. Finally got a nice Blu-ray release last year, too, thanks to Vestron!

Near Dark. This film is so bloody violent that I'm curious as to why it didn't become my favorite vampire film ahead of The Lost Boys all those years ago. This movie is dark. But damn if it isn't as cool as The Lost Boys, just not as cheerful and bright. The gang here are every bit as murderous as David and his gang, but these cowboy drifter vampires know how to kill and have fun doing it. The bar scene is one of the most memorable scenes in movie history for me personally. You can see the fear in the mortal's eyes in the bar when they begin to understand what these people are and lose all conviction and courage as the blood recedes from their faces. It's terrifying and wonderful. As Bill Paxton slices some dude's neck with his spur, it's like a mic drop for vampire movies. Nothing will come close after this.

The Lost Boys. I look at this movie as the one that really started it all for me. This is the movie that made me a vampire fanatic. This movie had it all, cool bikes, even cooler vampires, vampires that fly!, a great soundtrack and incredible cinematography. The actors and their characters were all just perfect. Santa Clara stands in for Santa Carla, and the town is just a cool southern California town that was mythical in 1980s films. This is the most rock n' roll vampire movie ever. It also had the greatest movie tagline ever:

Sleep all day. Party all night. Never grow old. Never die. It's fun to be a vampire.

Vamp. This is the weirdest of the 1980s vampire flicks that I watched every single time it was on television. I even rented a few of these from Erol's Video when I just needed to watch it, from time to time. And Vamp is the red-headed stepchild of the bunch. That's not to say that I don't like it, not a chance. But it hits differently. It has this dirty, dark underground world to it filled with ghouls who do the vampire's daytime bidding. This film is like a fever dream with these neon colors of pink and green that light up many scenes. And it has uglier vampires than even Fright Night could produce. Plus, Robert Rusler is in this film, and I was a fan of his since he was in A Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge and Weird Science.

Dracula (1931). I have to include this movie; it's the king of all vampire movies and stars the king of all vampires! This is the vampire that really started it all. It is wonderfully gothic and beautifully shot and quite an eerie watch. I didn't respect or love this movie as much as a kid, though I donned a Dracula costume for Halloween for several holidays in a row. While not the first, Bela Lugosi was the vampire of the 20th century! His visage became the vampire in Halloween for decades. I respect and adore this film so much more than I ever could have as a kid. And this goes for all of the Universal horror monsters.

All of these vampire flicks are a part of me now, having spent countless hours consuming every minute of each film. I've watched every one of them dozens of times, and I will watch many more times. They are the best of the genre, perfect for Halloweentober viewing, or any time of the year, really, but they really bite in October. These movies have gotten me through some dark days and sad times and loneliness and illness.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marketing

Is it ever too early to market your book? This question is retroactive to pre-publishing, too. I know very little about marketing. In fact, I guess I know nothing at all. My plan has always been, from the beginning, to get my story out there . To have people read it - that's the point to all of this. That's why this blog exists. And yet now I find myself searching for new, constructive ways to market this book. So far, I've been searching for an artist for the cover. I have it completely planned out, but I could screw up a stick figure, so I'll leave this to the pros. I'm wondering if it's too soon to design a website. Would a website even work for an unpublished work? I don't know. These are things I am looking into to help market my first novel. I've never had much use for an ego, but is self-promotion really egotistical? Or will it only hasten my prospect for publishing? Hmm.

BEING ELTON ALWINE

This is something that I've not give much thought about, and I'm not one to self-diagnose, but I have to find out if I have an anxiety disorder. All the symptoms are there: sweating, shortness of breath, headaches, etc. The list goes on. It's hard to concentrate, and I'm sick of excuses for why I'm not writing. It's certainly not lack of love or passion. And I am just a bit too affected on Sundays. The Baltimore Ravens are one of my loves in life, but this football team should in no way affect my attitudes and moods after game day . This, to me, is completely unacceptable. As of late, I've also developed an unnatural fear of death. I have witnessed this transformation seemingly outside of myself. I've never actually been the "worry wart" type, and I'm far from letting this behavior continue. Depression, Anxiety - these are words that I have always abhorred ; figments of the Pharmaceutical Industry's Utopian dream. Quite a bit of this d

Dear Spring, Please Get Here Soon...

I've been away for a while, but I'm staying busy. The Spring semester kicked off this week, and so far my classes are great, especially Astronomy. This is something I would want to do for the rest of my life, if my written word doesn't pay so well. Baseball is so close I'm beginning to foam at the mouth. Barely 8 weeks away and I have my season tickets for Sunday games almost purchased. There is just something about Spring in Baltimore... Anyway, the Script Project was going really well into page 30. One quarter down, and I stumbled like I do so often. But I will finish it, because I think it's a really good script. And vampires are still keeping me up at night. I revamped my BLADE story for MARVEL, and I'm mailing my Idea Proposal tomorrow. So, that's three projects on my lap. No problem.