Skip to main content

Terrortory and a Little Halloween Pumpkin Man

I found this cool lil Halloween Pumkin man on Etsy months ago and forgot he was in the closet. He's made himself at home here, and honestly, he scared T, and she doesn't want him running around the house. So, he's stuck in my office for the time being. I don't know that I'll be able to keep him cooped up during Halloweentober, however.



Really, it's not his fault, it's mine. I had her watch Terrortory with me, a local Maryland horror anthology, and Smiling Jack freaked her the hell out... Smiling Jack could be this guy's dad, the resemblance is uncanny. Smiling Jack is a dark, mirrored pumpkin pail candy bucket-headed supernatural killer in the woods.




Terrortory is a film set in a Bermuda-Triangle-like land of horrors in Western Maryland where monsters of all kinds will kill you, if you don't follow the rules. The rules become evident throughout the two films, while the sequel's plot is outright dependent on it. I found Terrortory I and II on Tubi (God bless Tubi, really) last year but didn't watch them, only added it to my list.

Then, a few weeks ago, I scrolled by it and a name was listed with whom I'm familiar. It turns out a friend from way back was a writer and director of the first film and producer of the sequel! I phoned him up and we got together. He gave me a copy of the DVD which I'm super grateful for. These films are fun horror anthologies, but I fell in love with Terrortory when I realized Dan Doran had helped put these together. That these films are local products is just the Reddi Whip on top.



Terrortory II is much more slick with less of the mistakes of the first film, both in terms of storytelling and production. The ending of the film is creepy AF and I sat there, surprised and smiling with the climax. The lore is expanded upon in the sequel, and it works really well.

The ending of TII is really FN cool. Spoilers: It is really dark and interesting, with the coven of the supernatural killers kneeling before a dark god of the Terrortory. The dark god (I don't know if he has a name) has a family hostage and provides the husband with a choice to either save his daughter or his wife. After some reluctance the husband's indecision bites him in the ass and the dark god makes the choice for him and reduces his wife to ... well watch it for yourself because it's too cool to spoil. It's dark and surprised me with how hard it went. It also described more of a certain character's part in the story.



Halloween night he will be out giving candy to trick-or-treaters. That is his day, what he was born for. You can find your own Halloween Pumpkin Man here and let him do all the work this Halloween so you can stay in and watch horror movies or bob for apples all night long.... Watch Terrortory 1 and 2, I think they are worthy Halloween flicks.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marketing

Is it ever too early to market your book? This question is retroactive to pre-publishing, too. I know very little about marketing. In fact, I guess I know nothing at all. My plan has always been, from the beginning, to get my story out there . To have people read it - that's the point to all of this. That's why this blog exists. And yet now I find myself searching for new, constructive ways to market this book. So far, I've been searching for an artist for the cover. I have it completely planned out, but I could screw up a stick figure, so I'll leave this to the pros. I'm wondering if it's too soon to design a website. Would a website even work for an unpublished work? I don't know. These are things I am looking into to help market my first novel. I've never had much use for an ego, but is self-promotion really egotistical? Or will it only hasten my prospect for publishing? Hmm.

BEING ELTON ALWINE

This is something that I've not give much thought about, and I'm not one to self-diagnose, but I have to find out if I have an anxiety disorder. All the symptoms are there: sweating, shortness of breath, headaches, etc. The list goes on. It's hard to concentrate, and I'm sick of excuses for why I'm not writing. It's certainly not lack of love or passion. And I am just a bit too affected on Sundays. The Baltimore Ravens are one of my loves in life, but this football team should in no way affect my attitudes and moods after game day . This, to me, is completely unacceptable. As of late, I've also developed an unnatural fear of death. I have witnessed this transformation seemingly outside of myself. I've never actually been the "worry wart" type, and I'm far from letting this behavior continue. Depression, Anxiety - these are words that I have always abhorred ; figments of the Pharmaceutical Industry's Utopian dream. Quite a bit of this d

Dear Spring, Please Get Here Soon...

I've been away for a while, but I'm staying busy. The Spring semester kicked off this week, and so far my classes are great, especially Astronomy. This is something I would want to do for the rest of my life, if my written word doesn't pay so well. Baseball is so close I'm beginning to foam at the mouth. Barely 8 weeks away and I have my season tickets for Sunday games almost purchased. There is just something about Spring in Baltimore... Anyway, the Script Project was going really well into page 30. One quarter down, and I stumbled like I do so often. But I will finish it, because I think it's a really good script. And vampires are still keeping me up at night. I revamped my BLADE story for MARVEL, and I'm mailing my Idea Proposal tomorrow. So, that's three projects on my lap. No problem.