Skip to main content

McDonald's Halloween 1986

I'm sitting here in the McDonald's parking lot on Wise Avenue. For the most part Dundalk still feels like the same town I grew up in. But it's not, not really. You can't go home again, so they say. Most of my family and friends have left. So have many stores. The Pizza Hut was razed where I used to play the cocktail arcade game; there was this huge, round fireplace in the center of the restaurant. The Dennys had been here for over 40 years; it's boarded up now and has been since the pandemic, all set to become another car cleaner. I moved out about 10 years ago to get a new house with my girlfriend, though I argued to stay. My parents left over 5 years ago, and my aunt and uncle left years before. And now we've lost our bridge.

 


I'm not ready to go inside yet. It's nice out, anyway. But I need to make sure I'm cool before I head in. All I want to do is air-punch! I want to let it out, whatever it is. I want to shake this feeling that holds me like a wet blanket. This feeling is nostalgia. I've been talking about that feeling for a good while now. I cannot return to the past save for the moments inside my mind. That's just the only place I want to be. The past may as well be a city nuked during Armageddon...because I am stuck here in shitworld like everyone else.

This new McDonald's is as ugly as anything ever dreamed up in architecture. And that goes for the inside, as well. The previous McDonald's here was once that beautiful late-'60s design with its cedar-shingles and mansard roof. Honest-to-God brick and glass perfection sat here for decades; a Playplace was added in the early '90s with Nintendo 64 systems. Compared to the square abomination that sits here before me today the previous incarnation was equal to anything Frank Lloyd Wright had ever envisioned...

I have a lot of memories from this once and future McDonald's, but in 1986, in particular, my mom brought me and my sister here for a Happy Meal dinner. Specifically, October 1986, and we were here solely for the pumpkin pails.




We would end up with all 3: McBoo, McGoblin and McPunk'n. For my sister this was a dinner at McDonald's like any other. But for me the Halloween pails were something special forever. I still remember seeing the translite on the backlit menu board above the counter, the pails on the counter, and the gift certificates on the counter.




Across Wise Avenue was a police precinct. The police only used one side of the building, and the side directly across from McDonald's was the annual Eastfield Halloween Haunted House. This awesome green sign hung across the brick facade, with a skeleton beckoning us to visit. This haunted attraction gave 9-year-old Elton nightmares, and I remember debating with my mother whether Dracula worked for the devil, or was it the other way around? I was surprised that anyone could ever think that a vampire would be second fiddle to anyone or anything... I just didn't buy it.

Inside, I will always remember this McDs as quite comfy to sit and enjoy a meal. This is a 180 from the new building. It almost begs you to take your meal and leave. Eat in your car, eat on the way home, but whatever you do, do not eat here! I can feel the store beg.

I get it--I've become the old man, pumping fist at the sky, shouting at clouds today. But the world is changing rapidly and in ways I never imagined would affect me. So, I slink back into things that comfort me. Halloween has been that warm, glowing hug that makes things better. There are moments of childhood that stick with us forever, and the 1986 Halloween at McDonald's is a big one for me. It comes flooding back to me whenever I'm in Dundalk, and at the turn of the season each and every year as the air cools and the leaves fall.

This memory, and ones like it, and the ones you have, are so apart of who we are as individuals and that makes me feel good. It makes me feel alive! I love feeling the collective experience of the many Halloween celebrations that sit in my brain and are recalled whenever I read a Halloween short story collection or watch a Halloween special on TV. Or smell pumpkin spice and apple candles. Or eat a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup pumpkin. These memories are an absolute part of who I am as a human being.

I'm sitting here doing my best to explain and detail why I love Halloween as much as I do; it's impossible. Sitting here at this renovated McDonald's it's proving to me that, while the building is gone, rebuilt like an ugly Phoenix, I still experienced that dinner with my mom and my sister here in October 1986. This is just one great Halloween memory of a cornucopia -- nay, a trick or treat bag -- filled with memories! And I am making new memories every Halloweentober.

To be honest, the new building is not that ugly. In fact, it's kind of nice looking. But it is the very lack of the history that bothers me, and I'll get over it eventually. Right now, it's something that bothers me. Fuck it - I went in, ate a Big Mac and fries with an apple pie and a Coke, and then drove around Dundalk. I really enjoyed my time that I was fortunate to have here...





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marketing

Is it ever too early to market your book? This question is retroactive to pre-publishing, too. I know very little about marketing. In fact, I guess I know nothing at all. My plan has always been, from the beginning, to get my story out there . To have people read it - that's the point to all of this. That's why this blog exists. And yet now I find myself searching for new, constructive ways to market this book. So far, I've been searching for an artist for the cover. I have it completely planned out, but I could screw up a stick figure, so I'll leave this to the pros. I'm wondering if it's too soon to design a website. Would a website even work for an unpublished work? I don't know. These are things I am looking into to help market my first novel. I've never had much use for an ego, but is self-promotion really egotistical? Or will it only hasten my prospect for publishing? Hmm.

BEING ELTON ALWINE

This is something that I've not give much thought about, and I'm not one to self-diagnose, but I have to find out if I have an anxiety disorder. All the symptoms are there: sweating, shortness of breath, headaches, etc. The list goes on. It's hard to concentrate, and I'm sick of excuses for why I'm not writing. It's certainly not lack of love or passion. And I am just a bit too affected on Sundays. The Baltimore Ravens are one of my loves in life, but this football team should in no way affect my attitudes and moods after game day . This, to me, is completely unacceptable. As of late, I've also developed an unnatural fear of death. I have witnessed this transformation seemingly outside of myself. I've never actually been the "worry wart" type, and I'm far from letting this behavior continue. Depression, Anxiety - these are words that I have always abhorred ; figments of the Pharmaceutical Industry's Utopian dream. Quite a bit of this d

Dear Spring, Please Get Here Soon...

I've been away for a while, but I'm staying busy. The Spring semester kicked off this week, and so far my classes are great, especially Astronomy. This is something I would want to do for the rest of my life, if my written word doesn't pay so well. Baseball is so close I'm beginning to foam at the mouth. Barely 8 weeks away and I have my season tickets for Sunday games almost purchased. There is just something about Spring in Baltimore... Anyway, the Script Project was going really well into page 30. One quarter down, and I stumbled like I do so often. But I will finish it, because I think it's a really good script. And vampires are still keeping me up at night. I revamped my BLADE story for MARVEL, and I'm mailing my Idea Proposal tomorrow. So, that's three projects on my lap. No problem.