Skip to main content

Halloweentober 2023

The O's are in the playoffs, fresh off winning the AL East. They've just a season that consistently had me pinching myself. But yes, it was all real, and they play the Rangers here at home today.

Halloween has taken a huge truck stop-after-chili dinner dump all over our home. Jack-o-lanterns sit on every table and mantle and sit aglow in warm candlelight every night. This time of year just makes me happy. It's rather simple: autumn, Halloween, horror movies and ghost stories, lots of candy and pie, the chill in the air, it all makes for the most wonderful time of year. I'm currently reading Autumncrow by Cameron Chaney. So far it's better than anticipated.

I'm on vacation in a few days, and I plan on writing my Halloween short stories, and overdosing on Reese Cups and slasher films. I'll try to make time to walk Betty Boxer. Another new addiction is watching 1980s and 1990s Halloween commercials. I've got a playlist on YT that's into 6-hours. And I just received a cool Halloween-inspired grab bag from Chris LaMartina, the creator of WNUF Halloween Special. This included a DVD-R mix tape style of aforementioned Halloween commercials and news specials of this great day. I'm not sure how to describe the euphoria of falling into hypnotic trance-like state while watching these videos. I slowly fade into time travel, sitting in my old home in Dundalk, it's Halloween in 1986 or the like, bag of candy spread before me, still in Dracula make-up and cape. I go back to that place inside my head to find happiness because it's so very hard to find it today.


I'm in the midst of building a shadowbox for my McDonalds Halloween Pails translite (1986). I want to back-light it, and display the pails below it with fake ivy like the translite. I'm old enough to remember when McD's still used bulbs w/translites for promotion, rather then the flat screens in use today. Personally, I feel that the translites worked better.

I vividly remember this Halloween pail advertisement below (or above, then). Sitting in our local McDonalds on Wise Avenue as a toddler, eating my McNugget Happy Meal (w/honey like a madman!) and staring at this beautiful piece of Halloween art. I was enthralled. I still am today, which is why I framed it on my wall. I can stare at it all day long.


These pumpkin pails (McBoo, McPunk'n and McGoblin respectively) were far superior than any toy the great Clown could've included with this Happy Meal. I've always had an affinity for the Jack-o-lantern, and these are at the top of that long and illustrious list.

It's quite remarkable these Boo Buckets have become so popular these days. They've reached some kind of legendary status in the collecting/Halloween/nostalgia groups. Dinosaur Dracula was discussing these pails over a decade ago. But something clicked for me in particular about 5 or 6 years ago, and I had to find my original buckets. That didn't happen so I visited the 'Bay.

I have begun to question the nature of nostalgia today when I began collecting the McDonalds Halloween ephemera. What makes a person want to collect pieces of fast food's past and spend money on these things. I know I feel a sort of short shot of euphoria with this stuff in my home, in my office, so perhaps this is the nature of nostalgia alone. I don't see any end to this in the near future, because every day I open a long-recessed memory, or find something else from childhood on another site that I simply must have... Should I feel shame in this emotion, or just go with it for now? Every day it's a little harder to live in the present, so these quick hops into the past seem to make me feel better overall.




Last night was the first night of pumpkin carving. Time to keep the nasty spirits away from our home and make the house look cute in the process.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Halloween Additions

There have been a few additions to the Halloween decorations and bric a brac here at the Haunted Mansion, Rumsey Island edition. While searching my parent's basement boxes for my old VHS collection I came across a few things I kept. My parents no longer decorate for Halloween, which breaks my heart. But now these things are with me now, so.... At Barnes and Noble the other day, T had disappeared for 10 minutes. When we got home I found out why. She had found, at the counter, this really cool Halloween advent calendar she surprised me with. It comes with this lil plush ghost for the days. Just look at 'im; he looks stoned on jack-o'-lantern stuffing or something. Or he's horrified he's stuck on this site because he didn't make it on Dinosaur Dracula... Next is Gerald from Target. I first saw this preppy pumpkin-head scarecrow a few days after Halloween a couple years ago, and when I returned next to pick him up, he was gone. Liquidated unt

Marketing

Is it ever too early to market your book? This question is retroactive to pre-publishing, too. I know very little about marketing. In fact, I guess I know nothing at all. My plan has always been, from the beginning, to get my story out there . To have people read it - that's the point to all of this. That's why this blog exists. And yet now I find myself searching for new, constructive ways to market this book. So far, I've been searching for an artist for the cover. I have it completely planned out, but I could screw up a stick figure, so I'll leave this to the pros. I'm wondering if it's too soon to design a website. Would a website even work for an unpublished work? I don't know. These are things I am looking into to help market my first novel. I've never had much use for an ego, but is self-promotion really egotistical? Or will it only hasten my prospect for publishing? Hmm.

Curse of Crom

Curse of Crom, The Legend of Halloween is a new favorite film. I watched this film last season, and I honestly fell in love with it right away. I ordered the bluray right after watching it on tubi or some other streamer, of which there were many showing Crom. Low-budget Indy flicks have never been my cuppa but this one had me at Halloween. The opening is Halloween 4-style perfection. It's incredibly earnest, for some reason I've used this word often when talking about this flick. What I mean is that low-budget or not the characters are in this film and they own it. I really like every single character. Steve, or Lil Rock, as I refer to him (Halem Medina) is the spitting image of a younger Dwayne Johnson. I do not accept that this guy is not the bastard son of the Rock. I shouldn't gossip, it doesn't become me. The scene where Steve finally sees the spirit is great. The next time we see him he is dressed in a costume of dead animals (or the likeness thereof, to protect