A24's The VVitch is close to a perfect witch story. It's dark, it's really dark, it's sad, and it has witches on broomsticks (or sticks, but in my mind their brooms). The film is quite sinister, and I learn more about the story with each successive watch.
First things first, the twins. The twins are pieces of shit. These two kids (Mercy and Jonas) deserved to get, well, not what they got. But they deserved an ass-kickin'. These two kids are little pieces of shit. They do make me laugh though, because the girl in particular is such a lil shit. Mercy spends so much time accusing Thomasin of witchcraft even before Thomasin becomes a freakin' witch. The Billy goat Black Phillip should have bounced these two a long time ago, but I think he was trying to lure the twins to the dark side until he found Thomasin would be the easiest target.
I'd like to take a moment of silence for young Samuel. Samuel is the infant son of William and Katherine, brother to the twins, and Caleb and Thomasin. Samuel was taking from his family too soon, who would be made into a flying paste that a witch smeared onto a broom (well it should have been a broom. It was a broom handle), so that she could fly. Apparently, a witch's powers come from heartbreaking loss of life. Fairwell young Samuel, we hardly knew ye.
The puritan family are forced out of their settlement after William couldn't keep his mouth shut and just listen to the town's elders. So, the family is forced out into the New England wilderness and must start anew. They will fight the cold, famine, and inadvertently the devil. Not to mention paranoia.
The historical accuracy of the film is fantastic. According to Wikipedia, director Robert Eggers brought in carpenters from Virginia and Massachusetts to build the 17th century sets. Costumes and wardrobe were also designed from what the designer found in over two dozen Elizabethan books. No AI or CGI here... All of this means the film is strikingly beautiful.
![]() |
| Black Phillip and the Piece of Shit twins |
The VVitch is a top-tier witch movie. There aren't a lot of films I can say are better than this movie with the iconic monster. So for me, this film reigns as the single best movie of the witch I have yet to see. Being what it is, I only watch it during the spooky season. I just don't get much satisfaction out of watching this movie in April... So do yourself a favor and sometime this month, grab a blanket, light a fire in the hearth or light a candle, and give the movie a watch.


Comments
Post a Comment