Skip to main content

Halloweentober Day 1!

Here we are again, folks! Another October, or Halloweentober, as we like to call the month round here. I started watching monster movies a little early in late September this year, but that will be our little secret. Got it?

I'm in a werewolf and witchy mood this spooky season! So I walked through the Scream Factory aisle tonight and picked a movie that goes way back to my childhood. One of my favorite movies of all time, let alone werewolf movie, is Teen Wolf. I saw this when it had just come out on VHS. I've been in love with this movie most of my life. I'm watching the movie today on my Scream Factory Blu-ray. Michael J Fox is one of the most likable characters in the world as Scott Howard. His dad Harold is pretty great, too. But Styles was always my favorite character. The kid is so cool and entrepreneurial. As soon as he sees Scott transform, he's not petrified, he's not pissed - he sees opportunity. And he gets to work making Scott the Teen Wolf. And he becomes Beacontown's sensation.

Coach Bobby Finstock is just ridiculous, and another of my favorite characters in a movie filled with incredible characters. Coach Finstock is played by Baltimore native Jay Tarses, and he plays the coach in such a likable way for the character's utter unlikability! He chews his scene with Scott up like he does that Hubba Bubba! Bobby Finstock, what can I say about this guy? He's just so damn entertaining in the few scenes he gets to work.


Teen Wolf has an amazing soundtrack! The 1980s had an abundance of movies with accompanying soundtracks. This movie is also the film that I learned that Michael J Fox is a Canadian. It broke my heart in a way, because I thought of him as the all-American boy next door, especially after Family Ties. But good for Canada, eh?! He is one of the most remarkable film and TV stars of the 1980s.

It doesn't really matter where he's from, Michael J Fox is one of the finest actors ever. This movie with any other actor as Scott Howard, I just don't know that it would be the classic that it is today. God bless Michael J Fox as he continues to live with ALS.

I put this movie in every once and a while, though especially in October whenever I need a fun, campy movie to fix my depression. It usually works. And Scream Factory's Blu-Ray is loaded with special features. Just check out the back of that slipcover! I watched Never Say Die with Jeph Loeb, the writer, and then of course I finished with the original trailer. I laughed out loud when Scott demanded a keg of beer. The voice modulation sounded like a robot, not the dark werewolf we see in the finished movie. Totally worth it! This is one of my favorite Scream Factory Blu-rays.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Small History on Halloween in the States

Here's a link . This is a quick little read about Halloween and its development in the "New World". I've been a stanch believer that Halloween in America today is well and truly crafted here, though very much of traditions from the "Old World". But the conglomeration of the holiday is well and formed here in the States, from the carving of the first jack-o'-lanterns to trick or treating as a homegrown manifestation. A lot of these Halloween traditions were simultaneously developed up north with our Canadian cousins too, I'm sure. But with the bigger population Halloween became larger here in the States. And this story gives us some insight into the idea that while Halloween has some traditions that date back to pre-Christ times, what we celebrate here today in America is very much a melting pot of our own construction. This is important to me as this holiday is very much a part of the American experience and identity. If I have to say it aloud, I hav...

As of Today...

Nothing is certainly new. My fingers are still crossed, regarding Marvel. I really think I put together an ambitious letter inquiry for them. Now, if I could just get them to want to see my writing... If not, I will do my best to overwhelm their mail department with inquiry letters for the next few weeks. Eventually, someone's going to write back. I still haven't touched UNIQUE . This has to be a good thing. This is the longest I have gone without opening up the story and fixing something. The movie script project has been without attention lately, too. How unfortunate is the only thing I can think of. For thirty pages I was bursting with energy and creativity. I think I really got caught up in the BLADE script, and that settled me down for a few weeks. I need to get the enthusiasm back! And then there's school. Astronomy is the only class that can retain my interest for an hour and a half. But it's good to have the history lessons refreshed in my mind. It's good t...