Skip to main content

Halloweentober Day 2!

Finally finished putting Margeret together and got her put up out front this evening. For the past few years, I've been trying to make my own bespoke Halloween decorations. I've been trying to put together pumpkin headed scarecrows on a T-bar but just couldn't find the right pieces to use. But then I ran into a black skeleton at Michael's the other day and thought that this would work.

However, I've also been stuck on what to use for my witch decoration. I was stumped trying to make an upper torso witch and hang her from a 6- or 7-foot wooden stake. It was just a struggle. So I put my old Grim Reaper costume robe from the 1980s on the skeleton, along with a witch mask I had and I found a witch hat at Spirit Halloween. And she was done. Quick and easy.


Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge was my first real introduction to Freddy Krueger. At that point in time it was only the three movies. After we watched the sequel one dark and stormy night, my friend (Mike Shupe) and I quickly rented the first movie and Dream Warriors and watched them over his place.

We both lived in the same apartment complex in Dundalk, called Hidden Cove at the time. He was over on Paulette side, and I lived on Bear Ridge. We spent a lot of time at his mother's apartment. He had an NES before me, and we spent many nights playing Friday the 13th, Jaws, or Karate Kid together. But our biggest hobby was watching movies that were considered mature. He introduced me to Friday the 13th, the Nightmare movies, Halloween. The horror trinity in American horror.

But for me the sequel was always a favorite. It didn't hurt that the Fresh Prince of Bel Air himself, Will Smith came out with a song around this time, I guess it was 1987, about Freddy, and my lovely mother quickly picked up the cassette He's the DJ, I'm the Rapper for me, and I listened to this song over and over again. For a little while there Freddy was the biggest thing in my short life.

For years I've neglected this franchise. To be fair, Freddy is the first monster that really affected me and my imagination. I guess there's Dracula, and I have to give the lord of vampires props for introducing me to horror. But Freddy exploded onto the scene in the '80s and who was I to go against the popular culture?

As an aside, I'm not gay. I don't say that to deride those who are. But the sequel gets lumped into gay cinema quite often, and then I have sometimes felt embarrassed to say that this is my favorite of the films. But the gay context is there, it most definitely is. I failed to see it then at 10 years old. As an adult, it's impossible to miss. I still can ignore it and enjoy the movie for the entertainment it is. Let people take from it what they will.

I think I'll take this Halloweentober to go through the Nightmare films again. It's been years... And I've been so alone without you, Fred.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Small History on Halloween in the States

Here's a link . This is a quick little read about Halloween and its development in the "New World". I've been a stanch believer that Halloween in America today is well and truly crafted here, though very much of traditions from the "Old World". But the conglomeration of the holiday is well and formed here in the States, from the carving of the first jack-o'-lanterns to trick or treating as a homegrown manifestation. A lot of these Halloween traditions were simultaneously developed up north with our Canadian cousins too, I'm sure. But with the bigger population Halloween became larger here in the States. And this story gives us some insight into the idea that while Halloween has some traditions that date back to pre-Christ times, what we celebrate here today in America is very much a melting pot of our own construction. This is important to me as this holiday is very much a part of the American experience and identity. If I have to say it aloud, I hav...

Marketing

Is it ever too early to market your book? This question is retroactive to pre-publishing, too. I know very little about marketing. In fact, I guess I know nothing at all. My plan has always been, from the beginning, to get my story out there . To have people read it - that's the point to all of this. That's why this blog exists. And yet now I find myself searching for new, constructive ways to market this book. So far, I've been searching for an artist for the cover. I have it completely planned out, but I could screw up a stick figure, so I'll leave this to the pros. I'm wondering if it's too soon to design a website. Would a website even work for an unpublished work? I don't know. These are things I am looking into to help market my first novel. I've never had much use for an ego, but is self-promotion really egotistical? Or will it only hasten my prospect for publishing? Hmm.