Skip to main content

Sleepy Hollow High


I found Sleepy Hollow High (1999) one day at some store or other, I dont remember anymore. I picked it up because it had a cool jack-o'-lantern on the cover and I like the town of Sleepy Hollow.

This is a different Sleepy Hollow. At least it appears to be. Especially with the cars having MD plates. This is a local film, filmed near Baltimore in Sykesville, Maryland. And while the killer wears a jack-o'-lantern on his head this has nothing to do with the beloved Washington Irving story.

No, this is set in Sleepy Hollow, Maryland, in Calvert County I imagined. Though its never said as much, thr plates on the cars are MD, so I'm going with this setting. Thing is, the characters act like they are in Sleepy Hollow, NY, you know -- the one with the headless horseman legend an all... Written by a certain Washington Irving. I could have this all wrong, and they just ignore the part where they're in MD and filmed here instead of traveling to NY. Who knows, who cares? 

Whatever, semantics aside, the movie kinda sucks. It does. It's a homemade film, on a budget that is small to non-existent.

But I still like it. Maybe it's because it's so familiar, set no more than 20 miles from where I grew up. The characters aren't exactly likable, but I like them still. Their senior counselor, who reminded me of a teacher I had in Vo-Tech, Mr. E (Kevin Summerfield), was actually a pretty good actor. As was the bad boy, Z (Ruben Brown), was quite authentic, as well. He showed up in an episode of Homicide: Life on the Streets.

To be honest most of the cast were good actors. They just really did not have anything to work with. I still don't understand the climax of the story. But as with most B movies you kinda just watch and try and enjoy the ride. This time of year, with Halloween a few weeks away, enjoy it I did. If you don't expect too much you might like it too. Especially if you're local.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Small History on Halloween in the States

Here's a link . This is a quick little read about Halloween and its development in the "New World". I've been a stanch believer that Halloween in America today is well and truly crafted here, though very much of traditions from the "Old World". But the conglomeration of the holiday is well and formed here in the States, from the carving of the first jack-o'-lanterns to trick or treating as a homegrown manifestation. A lot of these Halloween traditions were simultaneously developed up north with our Canadian cousins too, I'm sure. But with the bigger population Halloween became larger here in the States. And this story gives us some insight into the idea that while Halloween has some traditions that date back to pre-Christ times, what we celebrate here today in America is very much a melting pot of our own construction. This is important to me as this holiday is very much a part of the American experience and identity. If I have to say it aloud, I hav...

Marketing

Is it ever too early to market your book? This question is retroactive to pre-publishing, too. I know very little about marketing. In fact, I guess I know nothing at all. My plan has always been, from the beginning, to get my story out there . To have people read it - that's the point to all of this. That's why this blog exists. And yet now I find myself searching for new, constructive ways to market this book. So far, I've been searching for an artist for the cover. I have it completely planned out, but I could screw up a stick figure, so I'll leave this to the pros. I'm wondering if it's too soon to design a website. Would a website even work for an unpublished work? I don't know. These are things I am looking into to help market my first novel. I've never had much use for an ego, but is self-promotion really egotistical? Or will it only hasten my prospect for publishing? Hmm.