T and I waited for autumn to drop before watching this sequel. The first film is a cute, lovable Halloween monster movie. The characters are sweet and likable. The monster - Crom - looks like a hanging Halloween decoration, and that's a big part of its appeal. So when the Kickstarter for the sequel popped up I wasted no time in securing my part in the film.
My copy arrived with a poster, and a small floating skull-spirit from the film in his own little Wings Chinese carton! Rob York, the director and producer, even included a time-stamped card when "your" ghost pops up.
We ordered sweet and sour chicken w/white rice, watched the film and waited for the credits to roll and for my name to appear. It was a lot of fun, and I am stoked to play some (very) small part in bringing it to life.
The movie itself... The movie is interesting. In a good way. The sequel has a much more serious tone than the first. It's missing that charm and earnestness that the first movie had, which may be impossible to capture again. For one, the lead in the first, Mary (played by Chelsea Jurkiewicz, is absent in the sequel, played by actress Ryann Bailey. She works very well, but she isn't Chelsea, so it just feels like a completely new character. Apparently Chelsea no longer wished to act, at least in film, from what I've heard. She was missed in this sequel.
No big deal, the show must go on. Larry Bagby (Ice, from Hocus Pocus) is in the film, for all of a disappointing 2 minutes. I really wanted to see his character actually act in the film, instead he's (spoilers)... killed off as quickly as we meet him. It would have been nice to see Larry and his funny in the movie. So that was a disappointment.
While there are still plenty of humorous moments, the film has an overall more serious tension to it. Where the first film felt like an homage to Goosebumps, this one ratcheted up the stakes a bit more.
One of the cool things I liked about Crom's Fury is that the Pooka is included as Crom's lil henchman. The pooka is the Irish legend of the brownie, or goblin. I've included my own variation of the pooka in my Trick or Treat Mart story. Though my pooka may as well have been completely different lore altogether. Here, they are portrayed as hairy little assholes, something akin to the Munchies or Ghoulies.
Uncle Dwight - or Dwayne - is new to the cast, Steve's uncle and owner of the movie theater a melee takes place in where our heroes and Crom and his minions do battle. Once again, Steve and Georgia are a really likable couple, and Steve (Halem Medina) just reminds me of a young Rock. The characters really make Crom quite enjoyable.
Mary's dad Greg (Colin Cunningham) was a standout in the first film, but he wasn't in as much as the main cast. So it was nice to see Greg and Harvey team-up for this follow-up. Colin Cunningham is a very skilled actor who has been in some big shows. He anchored the film down, and you can see that he brought out the best in this young cast. He has been in episodes of The X-Files to Smallville and played a recurring role on Stargate SG-1. He's got the chops. Since seeing Colin in the first Crom I've been seeing him all over the place, as it usually happens, and I have to admit - I'm a fan.
Comments
Post a Comment