Skip to main content

Curse of Crom


Curse of Crom, The Legend of Halloween is a new favorite film. I watched this film last season, and I honestly fell in love with it right away. I ordered the bluray right after watching it on tubi or some other streamer, of which there were many showing Crom. Low-budget Indy flicks have never been my cuppa but this one had me at Halloween. The opening is Halloween 4-style perfection. It's incredibly earnest, for some reason I've used this word often when talking about this flick. What I mean is that low-budget or not the characters are in this film and they own it. I really like every single character. Steve, or Lil Rock, as I refer to him (Halem Medina) is the spitting image of a younger Dwayne Johnson. I do not accept that this guy is not the bastard son of the Rock. I shouldn't gossip, it doesn't become me.

The scene where Steve finally sees the spirit is great. The next time we see him he is dressed in a costume of dead animals (or the likeness thereof, to protect him from Crom) and it's hilarious. Harvey's reaction to it works, too. The characters all click in scenes like this.

The Steve character, as I refer to him (Tanner Gillman), is Harvey. Tanner's character just reminded me of Steve from Stranger Things the first time I watched. He has a dance scene that has me LOL every time. And he and Mary's (Chelsea Jurkiewicz) adventures in fighting the dark Irish Halloween god could have been a bit more developed. What I mean by that is just that I wanted more. I'm not a movie critic, so I don't have any insight to what's missing with the movie, but I felt like there was more to explore.

Screen-used prop sent to me by director Rob York

Crom was filmed in beautiful Utah, and I would have liked more Halloween imagery, more Trick or Treating, more jack-o'-lantern carving. The film has some of this, but I didn't think enough. Perhaps I'm just never satisfied. As I've already mentioned, I love this movie. The climax does very much close out this story, but it needed more. Just more, more of Crom, more interactions between the characters and Crom. It feels like the story closes with a whimper and a stare.

I have to note the monster, Crom. The budget has certainly affected the main star of the film. There are moments where the creature does look low-budget, but there is a close-up scene where the monster looks fantastic. So there we go, hit and miss. However, there is a scene where we see the monster, and he looks like a dangling Halloween dancer popular in the late-'90s, and he reminded me of the monster from Screams of a Winter Night. Lorraine is this little witch's spirit zipping around the graveyard killing high school kids, and she could be a cousin to Crom. This only helped to further endear the film to me more.

Curse of Lorraine, Another Legend of Halloween...

So take my criticisms with a grain of salt because this film is now in heavy rotation for Halloweentober here on out. It's worth a watch if you love Halloween. I think the director, Rob York, has said there will be a sequel. Get your copy below!

This is MY copy, Get your own below

BUY CURSE OF CROM NOW!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Small History on Halloween in the States

Here's a link . This is a quick little read about Halloween and its development in the "New World". I've been a stanch believer that Halloween in America today is well and truly crafted here, though very much of traditions from the "Old World". But the conglomeration of the holiday is well and formed here in the States, from the carving of the first jack-o'-lanterns to trick or treating as a homegrown manifestation. A lot of these Halloween traditions were simultaneously developed up north with our Canadian cousins too, I'm sure. But with the bigger population Halloween became larger here in the States. And this story gives us some insight into the idea that while Halloween has some traditions that date back to pre-Christ times, what we celebrate here today in America is very much a melting pot of our own construction. This is important to me as this holiday is very much a part of the American experience and identity. If I have to say it aloud, I hav...

As of Today...

Nothing is certainly new. My fingers are still crossed, regarding Marvel. I really think I put together an ambitious letter inquiry for them. Now, if I could just get them to want to see my writing... If not, I will do my best to overwhelm their mail department with inquiry letters for the next few weeks. Eventually, someone's going to write back. I still haven't touched UNIQUE . This has to be a good thing. This is the longest I have gone without opening up the story and fixing something. The movie script project has been without attention lately, too. How unfortunate is the only thing I can think of. For thirty pages I was bursting with energy and creativity. I think I really got caught up in the BLADE script, and that settled me down for a few weeks. I need to get the enthusiasm back! And then there's school. Astronomy is the only class that can retain my interest for an hour and a half. But it's good to have the history lessons refreshed in my mind. It's good t...