Skip to main content

Halloweentober 2022

Halloweentober is here and for a brief few weeks I can forget what a hellhole our society has become. The world has seriously and irreparably lost its mind, and I'm using whatever I can to forget the mind-numbing stupidity of 'Merica in the 21st century.

Now I hold steadfast to the belief that America is the greatest country in the world. But everyday our "leaders" are doing what they can to make that declaration a complete and utter lie. Once, we were afforded freedoms to rival any nation on planet Earth. But daily we are seeing liberty wiped away in the name of safety. The pandemic has given our government carte blanche to act authoritative and without repercussions to ensure that We the People are protected from the Big Bad Bug. Soon, life here will be like a dystopian novel, replete with Nazi-like neighbors tattling on you for using too much AC on a hot and humid summer afternoon, and barcodes on forearms; Oops, you've had too much steak this week--no airfare for you this month! Some of the things I hear coming out of American's mouths in the past five years have me legitimately worried for the fate of my country. When people can proclaim that making our country come first is racist, we're fucked. For half of the nation truth is offensive and the most heartrending thing of all is that these people are backed by the biggest industries, biggest corporations with the biggest reach and the biggest wallets. 

I simply want to live in the America I grew up in. The America where morality was inherent in our culture, and inclusion was granted decades before morons created diversity. Just read a goddamn X-MEN comics issue from the '60s to pre-2017 ffs. I want to live in an America where illegal immigration is just that. It's in the name! Immigration helped make America the greatest nation on Earth. But a country's laws cannot be ignored for the sake of citizenship. A just nation has law and order. I do not want to live in anarchy. I support Police that is sworn to serve and protect its community. I support government that defends the constitution of the United States. I support Americans that will fight to save the republic, and not destroy it.

You see, all of this is exactly why I am returning to the blog. I want to escape the incessant din of madness that has infected the US, and I suppose the world. I want to talk about vampires again, and comic books, and horror movies, and retro video games (good grief, is the PS1 retro?), and Halloween culture in general. And things that make me happy. I was writing just before the pandemic threatened to upend civilization. I want to write again. I want to start the YouTube channel.

I want to come to terms with nearing 45. I want to live life and enjoy it all instead of being afraid. Afraid of viruses. Of vaccines. Of tyranny. Of the Great Reset. Of my neighbors. I want to be afraid watching Jaws or Poltergeist, not simply waking up in the morning. I want to have a community of people who are into the same shit that I am.

None of this is what I want to talk about here on this blog. Not even close. I want to talk about Halloween and the monthlong celebration I've dubbed Halloweentober of October. It' the most beautiful time of year, the gold and purple and red and yellow leaves falling and crackling underfoot. The pumpkins turn into jack-o'-lanterns on steps and porches. The world turns into a Goosebumps novel. I pull out my pile of Halloween books and set them out on the coffee table -- feel free to read one. So, Happy Halloweentober, everyone. Let's ignore the scary world out there. Get festive. Get happy! Get creative!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Halloween Additions

There have been a few additions to the Halloween decorations and bric a brac here at the Haunted Mansion, Rumsey Island edition. While searching my parent's basement boxes for my old VHS collection I came across a few things I kept. My parents no longer decorate for Halloween, which breaks my heart. But now these things are with me now, so.... At Barnes and Noble the other day, T had disappeared for 10 minutes. When we got home I found out why. She had found, at the counter, this really cool Halloween advent calendar she surprised me with. It comes with this lil plush ghost for the days. Just look at 'im; he looks stoned on jack-o'-lantern stuffing or something. Or he's horrified he's stuck on this site because he didn't make it on Dinosaur Dracula... Next is Gerald from Target. I first saw this preppy pumpkin-head scarecrow a few days after Halloween a couple years ago, and when I returned next to pick him up, he was gone. Liquidated unt

Marketing

Is it ever too early to market your book? This question is retroactive to pre-publishing, too. I know very little about marketing. In fact, I guess I know nothing at all. My plan has always been, from the beginning, to get my story out there . To have people read it - that's the point to all of this. That's why this blog exists. And yet now I find myself searching for new, constructive ways to market this book. So far, I've been searching for an artist for the cover. I have it completely planned out, but I could screw up a stick figure, so I'll leave this to the pros. I'm wondering if it's too soon to design a website. Would a website even work for an unpublished work? I don't know. These are things I am looking into to help market my first novel. I've never had much use for an ego, but is self-promotion really egotistical? Or will it only hasten my prospect for publishing? Hmm.

Curse of Crom

Curse of Crom, The Legend of Halloween is a new favorite film. I watched this film last season, and I honestly fell in love with it right away. I ordered the bluray right after watching it on tubi or some other streamer, of which there were many showing Crom. Low-budget Indy flicks have never been my cuppa but this one had me at Halloween. The opening is Halloween 4-style perfection. It's incredibly earnest, for some reason I've used this word often when talking about this flick. What I mean is that low-budget or not the characters are in this film and they own it. I really like every single character. Steve, or Lil Rock, as I refer to him (Halem Medina) is the spitting image of a younger Dwayne Johnson. I do not accept that this guy is not the bastard son of the Rock. I shouldn't gossip, it doesn't become me. The scene where Steve finally sees the spirit is great. The next time we see him he is dressed in a costume of dead animals (or the likeness thereof, to protect