Skip to main content

The Hospital Halloween 2021!

I'm still in Upper Chesapeake. I'll be in the hospital for Halloween. I could've gone home, but the doc said she'd prefer I stay a couple more days just to ensure I'm good, that my sodium levels level out. I'll defer to her med degree and stay the weekend.

Covid and low sodium have kicked my ass. I've legit seen beds and rooms cleared, and you know where those bodies are going, don't you, Elton? I do, and it's and odd feeling. It's frightening. I don't know if I've been this close to death before, in space and time - not my health.

Earlier this week has been non-stop rainy. But then a beautiful golden sun came through, and it looks absolutely autumn outside. I'm staring out a huge window on the backside of the hospital to a view of just trees mostly. I'd wake up in the middle of the night to go #1 and it was pouring. I could see it pouring on the pavement under the amber parking lights. This persisted the first few days I was here.

Now we're closing in on 9 days... But I'm starting to feel a lot better. I don't know if I had brain fog, but I felt this utter head congestion. It was as if my brain had outgrown my skull and it was threatening on breaking out of its skull-prison. I couldn't quite articulate this feeling to the doctors, so they did a brain scan. And the other night, I felt this bout of uncontrollable nihilism. It was weird, and I hated every second it lasted. I had no interest in anything, or anyone. I couldn't have visitors but I didn't want to have any regardless. It was a terrible, depressing feeling and I hope it never returns.

Docs said my brain is perfect. Well to my standards. All my tests are really good. My oxygen level is near perfect. So maybe the vaccine helped me kick Covid's ass. She mentioned to me that I wouldn't be here for the Covid alone; they are only treating the low sodium. This helped me to understand my treatment now.

One night I called T on Instagram video chat. I wanted to see her and not just a picture, and the dogs, as well. She was carving pumpkins, and I was entirely jealous. She got the 'Vid too, but she was blessed with only a cough. So she stayed home and made these two precious jack-o'-lanterns.



One thing I have to admit, and it's kept my spirits up the entire time I've been here, is the staff - all of them - have been just incredible. When I showed weakness and curiosity to making it out of here, they were there for me. The care I've received here has been just perfect, and I appreciate them all. I've thanked them in person but I wanted it out there in the universe.

Something unexpected happened the other day. There was an active shooter scare here at the hospital. I was told to get in my bathroom and lock the door. I watched as staff took off in all directions, securing patients. It worked the adrenaline while I was bed bound...

So Halloweentober 2021 has not been and ideally perfect holiday. But the fact that I'm getting healthier by the day is all the good news I need at the moment. I'll try to make up for it next season.

This is Gerald. He returned to me.

Gerald (above) is a thing. This preppy pumpkin-headed scarecrow was at Target, and I forgot to go back for him. Next visit and he was gone, as were all his siblings. However, weeks later T showed up at home with new Gerald. She remembered I really wanted to pick him up and missed out. She saw him one day at a thrift store and brought new Gerald home. He will never leave his forever home.

Popular posts from this blog

New Halloween Additions

There have been a few additions to the Halloween decorations and bric a brac here at the Haunted Mansion, Rumsey Island edition. While searching my parent's basement boxes for my old VHS collection I came across a few things I kept. My parents no longer decorate for Halloween, which breaks my heart. But now these things are with me now, so.... At Barnes and Noble the other day, T had disappeared for 10 minutes. When we got home I found out why. She had found, at the counter, this really cool Halloween advent calendar she surprised me with. It comes with this lil plush ghost for the days. Just look at 'im; he looks stoned on jack-o'-lantern stuffing or something. Or he's horrified he's stuck on this site because he didn't make it on Dinosaur Dracula... Next is Gerald from Target. I first saw this preppy pumpkin-head scarecrow a few days after Halloween a couple years ago, and when I returned next to pick him up, he was gone. Liquidated unt

Marketing

Is it ever too early to market your book? This question is retroactive to pre-publishing, too. I know very little about marketing. In fact, I guess I know nothing at all. My plan has always been, from the beginning, to get my story out there . To have people read it - that's the point to all of this. That's why this blog exists. And yet now I find myself searching for new, constructive ways to market this book. So far, I've been searching for an artist for the cover. I have it completely planned out, but I could screw up a stick figure, so I'll leave this to the pros. I'm wondering if it's too soon to design a website. Would a website even work for an unpublished work? I don't know. These are things I am looking into to help market my first novel. I've never had much use for an ego, but is self-promotion really egotistical? Or will it only hasten my prospect for publishing? Hmm.

Curse of Crom

Curse of Crom, The Legend of Halloween is a new favorite film. I watched this film last season, and I honestly fell in love with it right away. I ordered the bluray right after watching it on tubi or some other streamer, of which there were many showing Crom. Low-budget Indy flicks have never been my cuppa but this one had me at Halloween. The opening is Halloween 4-style perfection. It's incredibly earnest, for some reason I've used this word often when talking about this flick. What I mean is that low-budget or not the characters are in this film and they own it. I really like every single character. Steve, or Lil Rock, as I refer to him (Halem Medina) is the spitting image of a younger Dwayne Johnson. I do not accept that this guy is not the bastard son of the Rock. I shouldn't gossip, it doesn't become me. The scene where Steve finally sees the spirit is great. The next time we see him he is dressed in a costume of dead animals (or the likeness thereof, to protect