Skip to main content

The Anticipated Coming of Autumn

All my life, or most of it, I have been infatuated with spring and summer. The warm weather has always sustained my soul. But as I get older the summer doesn't fill that sweet spot in my heart that it once did. Anxiety plays a large role in the change, I think. I've had a lot of physical health problems the past few years, and many began in the summer in the afternoon or middle of the night. And my mind has not forgotten those moments of terror and realization, and it sticks with me. As I've gotten healthier, I'm trying to leave behind those memories that are imprinted into my body. The changing of the seasons helps.

The past so many years I've fallen in love with Autumn. Hard. The chill in the air and sweater weather with the changing of the leaves brings new cozy moments to enjoy. The sun, especially in the morning and the evening, takes on this warm golden hue that you just don't see in the summer. It hits differently. You get to light the fireplace in the evening to eat beside the fire. Hot apple cider and Pumpkin Spice lattes while walking in the park make me sound incredibly corny, I know, but it's straight up wonderful.

Fall comes in quietly; it sneaks in like the chill during the middle of the night through your cracked windows. Back when we had amber sodium vapor streetlamps in the neighborhood you could see it at night, even, with skeletal trees breaking up the light with amazing natural shadows. Jack-o'-lanterns sitting on stoops and porches. Dead leaves crunching beneath your feet. Scary movies on television in abundance. The anticipation as Halloween approaches is wonderful and exciting.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Small History on Halloween in the States

Here's a link . This is a quick little read about Halloween and its development in the "New World". I've been a stanch believer that Halloween in America today is well and truly crafted here, though very much of traditions from the "Old World". But the conglomeration of the holiday is well and formed here in the States, from the carving of the first jack-o'-lanterns to trick or treating as a homegrown manifestation. A lot of these Halloween traditions were simultaneously developed up north with our Canadian cousins too, I'm sure. But with the bigger population Halloween became larger here in the States. And this story gives us some insight into the idea that while Halloween has some traditions that date back to pre-Christ times, what we celebrate here today in America is very much a melting pot of our own construction. This is important to me as this holiday is very much a part of the American experience and identity. If I have to say it aloud, I hav...

Jack-o'-lanterns in November!

Today most of America seems to have forgotten that the venerable jack-o'-lantern is not only an important symbol of Halloween, but also of Thanksgiving. As a kid this icon of Thanksgiving was a decoration you would see in people's yards throughout October and November; through most of autumn. Today you don't see it as much, with folks settling for simple uncarved pumpkins on the steps on the porch, or on bales of hay. I bring this up only because I'd like to see a return to the pumpkin-headed scarecrows staying around for more than one holiday. I'm keeping my jack-o'-lanterns out in the yard and on the porch until the day after Thanksgiving. It's time we keep the pumpkin-head scarecrow around all fall. This is a perfect way to repurpose your jacks into November, instead of letting them get tossed by some teenagers post-All Hollows Eve! However, there is something to be said for rotting jack-o'-lanterns after Halloween that just screams cool. Aging jacks ...