Skip to main content

Halloween 1986 - When Adults Came for the Holiday

This link is for a New York Times article from 1986 in which it was coming clear that Halloween was becoming the big business holiday that we know and love today. It's an interesting read, to see insight of Halloween from a time when I was just a wee tyke. During this time I was worried about my McDonald's pumpkin pail not being large enough for trick or treating. I was nine years old. I had real problems then. 

This is the year that would see the first notch on the timeline which would give rise to stores like Halloween Adventure and Spirit Halloween to exist, and destinations like Universal's Halloween Horror Nights opened for their inaugural show. HHN is still going strong to this day at Universal Studios.


And here's this little time capsule courtesy of WEDF. And if you want to watch something a bit longer, here's Elvira and her Halloween Special from Salem, Mass.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Small History on Halloween in the States

Here's a link . This is a quick little read about Halloween and its development in the "New World". I've been a stanch believer that Halloween in America today is well and truly crafted here, though very much of traditions from the "Old World". But the conglomeration of the holiday is well and formed here in the States, from the carving of the first jack-o'-lanterns to trick or treating as a homegrown manifestation. A lot of these Halloween traditions were simultaneously developed up north with our Canadian cousins too, I'm sure. But with the bigger population Halloween became larger here in the States. And this story gives us some insight into the idea that while Halloween has some traditions that date back to pre-Christ times, what we celebrate here today in America is very much a melting pot of our own construction. This is important to me as this holiday is very much a part of the American experience and identity. If I have to say it aloud, I hav...

Marketing

Is it ever too early to market your book? This question is retroactive to pre-publishing, too. I know very little about marketing. In fact, I guess I know nothing at all. My plan has always been, from the beginning, to get my story out there . To have people read it - that's the point to all of this. That's why this blog exists. And yet now I find myself searching for new, constructive ways to market this book. So far, I've been searching for an artist for the cover. I have it completely planned out, but I could screw up a stick figure, so I'll leave this to the pros. I'm wondering if it's too soon to design a website. Would a website even work for an unpublished work? I don't know. These are things I am looking into to help market my first novel. I've never had much use for an ego, but is self-promotion really egotistical? Or will it only hasten my prospect for publishing? Hmm.