Skip to main content

Let Me Just Say This

You know the saying, "It could be worse," right? And I understand it. Hell, I live it! I am absolutely the last person you would call ungrateful. I feel blessed, for lack of a better word. But I wonder sometimes just how mental I really am. Maybe it's just American culture. I'm the bi-product of decades of televisional (did I just create a new adjective?) violence and heroism and drama and love. So I often wonder what the big deal with life is all about. Before I get too deep, I'll explain.

Via television or comic books or novels or whatever, only ghosts, robots, vampires, aliens and probably God exists. Here, in our reality, all of this stuff is science fiction. Well, that leaves a sour taste in my mouth sometimes. I mean, how boring is our reality really? While the cosmos completely make me rethink everything that I know and believe, here on Earth life is far from extraordinary. There are no men in blue and red tights flying through our soaring skyscrapers and saving us from villains. There are no space ships in our galaxy fighting for the survival of the human race from the icy-steel grips of robots (that we're aware of, I understand the limits of our telescopes). And there are no lingering undead in the foggy mists of our cemeteries (that I've encountered, at least).

What got me thinking about all of this is the fact that life is quite stagnant. Wouldn't you agree? I mean, since 1945 has there been anything to threaten the lives of everyday people here in the States? The Cold War was officially frozen in 1989 and averted nuclear war. Apparently astronomers haven't found that comet that would end life on Earth as we know it. And Satan seems satisfied lounging languidly in the pages of paper where he's been for two-thousand years... Life, when you look at it objectionably, is boring. And while the survivor's of airplane crashes, floods and hurricanes and genocide would tell me to fuck off, I'm just saying: When the hell is that giant spaceship coming to Earth? When are we going to experience something that just shocks us off our collective feet? I'm not looking for something catastrophic here. Just something that makes all six and a half billion of us expel a breathy "Wow."

And so, I write. And not very well, or not that much, but I write. Maybe this is the reason a lot of people become writers. Maybe some of us are just fed up with the boring throes of day-to-day living. I know personally that the daily grind is painful, and save for some really fun drugs, writing is the only way out. And with the finale of Battlestar Galactica, I've been left in a void. Wow, you probably said aloud, what a shame. Well, yes - television does mean that much to me. A very small percentage of it, anyway. And now I realize what an amazing story that it was is all over and what it did for me; but more than that, I begin to see that, even with my confidence in my own abilities, I may not have that talent to create amazing stories like that. And this is far from a bad thing. What this proves to me is that perhaps our world isn't as boring as sometimes I want to believe. I may have to come to the realization that I am lazy and that all the talent in the world isn't going to matter if I don't start writing.

Or, I just continue to watch lots of television, whatever.

Comments

  1. Hey, I'm still here listening to you. Isn't it about time you picked up your pen and started writing again.

    How are you going to make it as a writer if you don't write?

    I shall be back soon :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) Annie Wicking my favorite voice of reason...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Small History on Halloween in the States

Here's a link . This is a quick little read about Halloween and its development in the "New World". I've been a stanch believer that Halloween in America today is well and truly crafted here, though very much of traditions from the "Old World". But the conglomeration of the holiday is well and formed here in the States, from the carving of the first jack-o'-lanterns to trick or treating as a homegrown manifestation. A lot of these Halloween traditions were simultaneously developed up north with our Canadian cousins too, I'm sure. But with the bigger population Halloween became larger here in the States. And this story gives us some insight into the idea that while Halloween has some traditions that date back to pre-Christ times, what we celebrate here today in America is very much a melting pot of our own construction. This is important to me as this holiday is very much a part of the American experience and identity. If I have to say it aloud, I hav...

Jack-o'-lanterns in November!

Today most of America seems to have forgotten that the venerable jack-o'-lantern is not only an important symbol of Halloween, but also of Thanksgiving. As a kid this icon of Thanksgiving was a decoration you would see in people's yards throughout October and November; through most of autumn. Today you don't see it as much, with folks settling for simple uncarved pumpkins on the steps on the porch, or on bales of hay. I bring this up only because I'd like to see a return to the pumpkin-headed scarecrows staying around for more than one holiday. I'm keeping my jack-o'-lanterns out in the yard and on the porch until the day after Thanksgiving. It's time we keep the pumpkin-head scarecrow around all fall. This is a perfect way to repurpose your jacks into November, instead of letting them get tossed by some teenagers post-All Hollows Eve! However, there is something to be said for rotting jack-o'-lanterns after Halloween that just screams cool. Aging jacks ...