Skip to main content

Happy Halloween!

 


This particular Halloweentober has flown by! It's the same old story, the older I get. But I went with the flow, watched a ton of movies and Halloween specials, ate more than my fair share of junk food, and enjoyed the Autumn season. I only managed to carve one pumpkin this year, transforming the gourd into a magical, mystical totem to ward off dark spirits. Here it is below.

This past month I read a bunch of my Halloween short stories books, such as The End of Summer, by J. Tonzelli. And This is Halloween, by James A. Moore. I also picked up the book A Season with the Witch, by J.W. Ocker, while in Salem and briefly read through it. It's a great love letter to the Witch City.

During the day T and I watched a bunch of spooky and funny Halloween movies, from Sleepy Hollow and Casper and Hubie Halloween to a few slashers and some Roseanne specials. We gorged on cheesesteak and ice cream (not at the same time, of course). It was an absolutely gorgeous Halloween today, with serious wind, however, so decorations were flying all over town as if they were bewitched.

T and I walked around last night in our neighborhood - our street never seems to get more than a few stragglers Trick or Treaters, so we've stopped getting candy and waiting for them to show up - and took in the Island to enjoy our neighbor's decorations and costumes. There was a food truck with popcorn and cider, a pleasant surprise to be sure, and quite a few of our neighbors offered us pizza and salad. Curious, that last part, but it was a nice courtesy, nonetheless. One neighbor had a large drum trash can with cutout jack-o'-lantern face and fire within. That was one of my favorite decorations for sure!

Another Halloween comes to a close. I'm sad, of course; I'm so very sentimental. But I have Thanksgiving to look forward to next. And then Christmas. And the year-long buildup to next All Hollow's Eve! See you then!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Small History on Halloween in the States

Here's a link . This is a quick little read about Halloween and its development in the "New World". I've been a stanch believer that Halloween in America today is well and truly crafted here, though very much of traditions from the "Old World". But the conglomeration of the holiday is well and formed here in the States, from the carving of the first jack-o'-lanterns to trick or treating as a homegrown manifestation. A lot of these Halloween traditions were simultaneously developed up north with our Canadian cousins too, I'm sure. But with the bigger population Halloween became larger here in the States. And this story gives us some insight into the idea that while Halloween has some traditions that date back to pre-Christ times, what we celebrate here today in America is very much a melting pot of our own construction. This is important to me as this holiday is very much a part of the American experience and identity. If I have to say it aloud, I hav...

Marketing

Is it ever too early to market your book? This question is retroactive to pre-publishing, too. I know very little about marketing. In fact, I guess I know nothing at all. My plan has always been, from the beginning, to get my story out there . To have people read it - that's the point to all of this. That's why this blog exists. And yet now I find myself searching for new, constructive ways to market this book. So far, I've been searching for an artist for the cover. I have it completely planned out, but I could screw up a stick figure, so I'll leave this to the pros. I'm wondering if it's too soon to design a website. Would a website even work for an unpublished work? I don't know. These are things I am looking into to help market my first novel. I've never had much use for an ego, but is self-promotion really egotistical? Or will it only hasten my prospect for publishing? Hmm.