Skip to main content

BEING ELTON ALWINE

This is something that I've not give much thought about, and I'm not one to self-diagnose, but I have to find out if I have an anxiety disorder. All the symptoms are there: sweating, shortness of breath, headaches, etc. The list goes on. It's hard to concentrate, and I'm sick of excuses for why I'm not writing. It's certainly not lack of love or passion. And I am just a bit too affected on Sundays. The Baltimore Ravens are one of my loves in life, but this football team should in no way affect my attitudes and moods after game day. This, to me, is completely unacceptable.

As of late, I've also developed an unnatural fear of death. I have witnessed this transformation seemingly outside of myself. I've never actually been the "worry wart" type, and I'm far from letting this behavior continue. Depression, Anxiety - these are words that I have always abhorred; figments of the Pharmaceutical Industry's Utopian dream.

Quite a bit of this development is apparent in UNIQUE. From the first chapter, a few things happen to Evander that all could be considered catalyst for his reality-wrenching experiences. I don't know if this was planned as part of the plot or if I was just trying to figure out what was going on with me and my curiosity. Regardless, for the sake of my novel and my lifestyle, and I'm going to at least learn more about anti-anxiety treatment, and go from there.

It's odd, but I honestly fell into this strange relaxed feeling when I discovered this, or self-diagnosed myself. I'll let the professionals do the diagnosing (which I always vowed was a hoax), but I feel a little bit better. Perhaps it's because I have a sense of direction, that for years, my novel did not have.

Comments

  1. Elt I have been on Welbutrin for years. I have anxiety and depression and it works so much. I tried to self diagnose and stop taking the pills and I did for a while. I was doing fine until I started working at my old job. And that job was so stressful. Wow. I worked 6 days a week and long hours. I got back on and I never looked back. I feel good because I am on the pills. I know a lot of people don't want to take pills but I am not ashamed. I call them my crazy pills.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You shouldn't be ashamed. Even if this is an example of the "Placebo Effect" it works for you, and that's great.

    Where did you go to get some help or reassurance? Did you just see your family physician?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just went to my doctor and I went to a therapist. My family doctor gave me the welbutrin but the therapist was nice. I don't do therapy anymore. It's a crock, well at least for me. But I can easily talk about anything. I stopped therapy about 5 years ago and only went for a year.
    Thanks for looking at the new blog. I still have my old one. That old one has been like my online diary for years. I'm trying to use the ads on this new one to generate some cash. It's like next to nothing right now but we'll see.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

New Halloween Additions

There have been a few additions to the Halloween decorations and bric a brac here at the Haunted Mansion, Rumsey Island edition. While searching my parent's basement boxes for my old VHS collection I came across a few things I kept. My parents no longer decorate for Halloween, which breaks my heart. But now these things are with me now, so.... At Barnes and Noble the other day, T had disappeared for 10 minutes. When we got home I found out why. She had found, at the counter, this really cool Halloween advent calendar she surprised me with. It comes with this lil plush ghost for the days. Just look at 'im; he looks stoned on jack-o'-lantern stuffing or something. Or he's horrified he's stuck on this site because he didn't make it on Dinosaur Dracula... Next is Gerald from Target. I first saw this preppy pumpkin-head scarecrow a few days after Halloween a couple years ago, and when I returned next to pick him up, he was gone. Liquidated unt

Curse of Crom

Curse of Crom, The Legend of Halloween is a new favorite film. I watched this film last season, and I honestly fell in love with it right away. I ordered the bluray right after watching it on tubi or some other streamer, of which there were many showing Crom. Low-budget Indy flicks have never been my cuppa but this one had me at Halloween. The opening is Halloween 4-style perfection. It's incredibly earnest, for some reason I've used this word often when talking about this flick. What I mean is that low-budget or not the characters are in this film and they own it. I really like every single character. Steve, or Lil Rock, as I refer to him (Halem Medina) is the spitting image of a younger Dwayne Johnson. I do not accept that this guy is not the bastard son of the Rock. I shouldn't gossip, it doesn't become me. The scene where Steve finally sees the spirit is great. The next time we see him he is dressed in a costume of dead animals (or the likeness thereof, to protect

The Inherited Retro Game Collection

It's fair to say, if a bit macabre, that I am collecting "retro" (that hurts to admit that the games/systems I grew up with are classified as retro) games due to the death of a once quite close friend. Dan's widow offered me a game that he and I had spent months playing together, Castlevania Symphony of the Night for PS1. This game means the world to me, as Dan and I spent 1997 finding every single piece of food and items we could, and upright and upside down, we searched Castle Dracula. This game is quite expensive today, especially a black spine first printing. I lost my copy decades ago, while Dan kept his original game. I had to have it, and his widow happily extended the copy to me. I am quite grateful for her generosity. When he passed I was not collecting games. I had a few of my old, original games, and an Xbox 360, from back in the day but that was it. Nothing that could be considered a collection. She would change this, however. His widow generously gifted m