Skip to main content

A Legacy for Kain

Blood Omen Legacy of Kain came out for the Sony PlayStation in 1996. I bought it day 1 and was hooked. The game was a bit challenging, but the story, revolving around the vampire named Kain and his betrayal was right up my dark, foggy alley. The story gets quite convoluted over the nearly half dozen games on the PlayStation, and sequels on the PS2, Xbox and Gamecube, but what a story it was. I've always hoped we'd get a film or novels based on these characters and the world of Nosgoth. The lore is there, just waiting to be explored by a Brad Lineweaver or a Kevin J Anderson.

The first game is my least favorite out of the Kain storyline games with regards to gameplay, compared to the more traditional action/adventure 3D games sequels. The top-down sorta-RPG is more of an exploration game of discovery rather than action. In fact, the action in the game is borderline dreadful compared to later incarnations. But the music, the story, the art, and the voice acting is all grand and lovely.

But this is not to say that Blood Omen is not enjoyable. In fact, it is ridiculously cool. It is a game with a vast story. Our character Kain, not so much an anti-hero as budding villain is fun to play, wielding vengeance like a weapon of war against those who conspired to use him.

My favorite character in the series did not debut until the sequel, Blood Omen 2, but he would make quite the entrance. "Give me meat! I require 1400 ounces every day," he declares, a large flaming cauldron attached to his back. He continues, after turning two guards into stew, while speaking to the slave he would have cooked if not for these guards intervening, "I've had my allotment. 1400 ounces or 20 stone. You may go!" I've heard Magnus's math is wrong so we can infer that the poor devil really was quite mad when Kain comes across the tortured vampire and former ally in the Bad Blood chapter.

The actor, Rodger Bumpass, plays Magnus hammy, and his dialogue very matter-of-fact, and I love it. This character feels like he was ripped from Hideyuki Kikuchi's Vampire Hunter D stories, another long-time favorite series. He's such an iconic character in the game, parts of his brain and flesh is bare for all to see and wretch. The boiler on his back is apparently surgically attached to his back, as the meat in this pot seems to be his sustenance instead of his usual diet of drinking blood.

Something borrowed from Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles is the vampiric Dark Gifts. (Magnus is also the name of the vampire responsible for turning Lestat.) Anne Rice dubs the Dark Gift as the act of becoming a vampire, but it's also used in recognizing different vampiric traits that certain vampires gain with the blood, much how it is called in the LoK series. And like some of Anne's vampires Magnus uses the gift of telekinesis. His Dark Gift ability is that of immolation. Kain takes this gift directly from the blood in his veins after he kills Magnus, mercifully. This is considered a version of telekinesis, or better still pyrokinesis, wherein the vampire can envelope an enemy in flames, from the inside or out.

I am not a contemporary gamer, but I'm still sad that Crystal Dynamics, or whomever owns the rights to the series, haven't made a game for today's powerhouse systems. Who knows, it could be the game that makes me purchase a new Xbox or PS... For now, I'm having fun revisiting Nosgoth through the PlayStation 1 and 2.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Halloween Additions

There have been a few additions to the Halloween decorations and bric a brac here at the Haunted Mansion, Rumsey Island edition. While searching my parent's basement boxes for my old VHS collection I came across a few things I kept. My parents no longer decorate for Halloween, which breaks my heart. But now these things are with me now, so.... At Barnes and Noble the other day, T had disappeared for 10 minutes. When we got home I found out why. She had found, at the counter, this really cool Halloween advent calendar she surprised me with. It comes with this lil plush ghost for the days. Just look at 'im; he looks stoned on jack-o'-lantern stuffing or something. Or he's horrified he's stuck on this site because he didn't make it on Dinosaur Dracula... Next is Gerald from Target. I first saw this preppy pumpkin-head scarecrow a few days after Halloween a couple years ago, and when I returned next to pick him up, he was gone. Liquidated unt

Marketing

Is it ever too early to market your book? This question is retroactive to pre-publishing, too. I know very little about marketing. In fact, I guess I know nothing at all. My plan has always been, from the beginning, to get my story out there . To have people read it - that's the point to all of this. That's why this blog exists. And yet now I find myself searching for new, constructive ways to market this book. So far, I've been searching for an artist for the cover. I have it completely planned out, but I could screw up a stick figure, so I'll leave this to the pros. I'm wondering if it's too soon to design a website. Would a website even work for an unpublished work? I don't know. These are things I am looking into to help market my first novel. I've never had much use for an ego, but is self-promotion really egotistical? Or will it only hasten my prospect for publishing? Hmm.

Curse of Crom

Curse of Crom, The Legend of Halloween is a new favorite film. I watched this film last season, and I honestly fell in love with it right away. I ordered the bluray right after watching it on tubi or some other streamer, of which there were many showing Crom. Low-budget Indy flicks have never been my cuppa but this one had me at Halloween. The opening is Halloween 4-style perfection. It's incredibly earnest, for some reason I've used this word often when talking about this flick. What I mean is that low-budget or not the characters are in this film and they own it. I really like every single character. Steve, or Lil Rock, as I refer to him (Halem Medina) is the spitting image of a younger Dwayne Johnson. I do not accept that this guy is not the bastard son of the Rock. I shouldn't gossip, it doesn't become me. The scene where Steve finally sees the spirit is great. The next time we see him he is dressed in a costume of dead animals (or the likeness thereof, to protect