Skip to main content

Post-Halloween Haul

I finally found, in the wild no less, the vinyl I've once and future owned, the Halloween sounds album from my childhood.

I listened to Sounds to Make You Shiver (1974) quite a bit in Octobers of yore. Yore being the equivalent of approximately 36, 37 Octobers. Yeah, 10-year-old me would sit beside the stereo late at night when my parents were asleep and I would spin this up, fantasizing I was a vampire. These were the nights of the Gray Charles Haunted House at the old North Point Police Precinct 12. The police had the north side of the building while the Recreation Center had the south side. I looked forward to that Haunted House every year. And before and after going to the Haunted House I would play this record on our Kenwood turntable to get psyched!


I also had to grab this all-Halloween episodes Roseanne DVD. I have the complete show on DVD from Mill Creek, but to have all of the Halloween eps on one disc was just too good to pass up! This was something I've wanted to add to my collection for years... No more first-world disc-changing problems for me, sir!


And with this we wind down Halloweentober. Gale winds are ushering the harvest season out and it's beginning to feel more like winter than autumn. With that the spooky season fades away, like the morning fog in the bright sun. My final surviving jack-o'-lantern survives another day, but he doesn't look too happy about it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Small History on Halloween in the States

Here's a link . This is a quick little read about Halloween and its development in the "New World". I've been a stanch believer that Halloween in America today is well and truly crafted here, though very much of traditions from the "Old World". But the conglomeration of the holiday is well and formed here in the States, from the carving of the first jack-o'-lanterns to trick or treating as a homegrown manifestation. A lot of these Halloween traditions were simultaneously developed up north with our Canadian cousins too, I'm sure. But with the bigger population Halloween became larger here in the States. And this story gives us some insight into the idea that while Halloween has some traditions that date back to pre-Christ times, what we celebrate here today in America is very much a melting pot of our own construction. This is important to me as this holiday is very much a part of the American experience and identity. If I have to say it aloud, I hav...

Marketing

Is it ever too early to market your book? This question is retroactive to pre-publishing, too. I know very little about marketing. In fact, I guess I know nothing at all. My plan has always been, from the beginning, to get my story out there . To have people read it - that's the point to all of this. That's why this blog exists. And yet now I find myself searching for new, constructive ways to market this book. So far, I've been searching for an artist for the cover. I have it completely planned out, but I could screw up a stick figure, so I'll leave this to the pros. I'm wondering if it's too soon to design a website. Would a website even work for an unpublished work? I don't know. These are things I am looking into to help market my first novel. I've never had much use for an ego, but is self-promotion really egotistical? Or will it only hasten my prospect for publishing? Hmm.